by admin | Oct 22, 2022 | NJ Chimney Repair, Uncategorized
Do you know if you are in need of Mercer County chimney repair? You can’t always tell by looking at it that your chimney isn’t safe and in working condition. However, there are some visible signs that indicate Mercer County chimney repair may be needed. Since chimney safety is part of safety from obvious fire hazards, every homeowner with a chimney should become familiar with telltale signs of damage.
Signs that You Need Mercer County Chimney Repair Services
- Damaged Mortar Joints: It may require a rooftop vantage point to spot, but damaged mortar joints between chimney masonry is an issue which should be hastily repaired. Failing mortar joints can mean accelerated damage to the chimney, since the condition exposes the bricks to greater amounts of moisture. When water gets into small cracks in the masonry, they can turn into large cracks, particularly as a result of freezing and thawing. Ultimately, if the problem isn’t addressed, the chimney could collapse.
- Rusted Damper or Firebox: Signs of moisture in a chimney or fireplace are red flags that the chimney isn’t operating the way it should. Rust is one clue that there is too much moisture, and you may see rust in the firebox or on the damper. You’ll know to take a close look at the damper if it becomes difficult to operate or if it isn’t sealing properly. Moisture in the chimney which causes rusting can create numerous problems, including causing flue tiles to crack. A cracked or deteriorated flue lining is highly dangerous, since it could allow too much heat into vulnerable areas and cause a house fire.
- Spalling Bricks: Spalling occurs when water enters brick, natural stone, or concrete and forces the surface of the masonry to pop out, peel off, or flake off. Sometimes salt also pushes outward from the inside and causes spalling. It’s fairly simple to spot spalling, since bits of masonry fall from the chimney. The ultimate outcome of failing to repair spalling masonry is continued crumbling and eventual destruction of the structure.
- Shaling Flue Tiles: Thin slices of chimney tile can begin to pile up at the bottom of the chimney, if the liner is damaged. Cracked and shaling flue tiles are signs of a serious condition which, if not resolved, could result in a house fire. The flue lining of a chimney must be intact in order to safely use a fireplace. Many people today are switching to stainless steel liners, which usually carry lifetime warranties. While shaling flue tiles can become evident, identifying cracked flue liners often requires an inspection by a professional chimney sweep who uses a special camera. The camera can spotlight potential problems in the flue which are difficult if not impossible to see otherwise.
- Cracked Chimney Crown: Another problem that requires a visit to the rooftop to spot is a damaged chimney crown. It’s important for the crown to be in good condition, since it provides a first line of defense against outdoor elements. When the crown is cracked, water gets in and freezes and thaws, causing larger cracks. A damaged chimney crown allows moisture to seep between the chimney and the liner as well as into the chimney, which can cause shaling and spalling. A great preventative measure against this type of damage is to weatherproof the chimney crown.
- Damaged Wallpaper: If you notice that the wallpaper is damaged in areas near the chimney, it could be because of excess moisture in the chimney. Whether the moisture problem is caused by above-named conditions or others that are less obvious, you should look into Mercer County chimney repair sooner rather than later.
Looking for the Best Mercer County Chimney Repair Services?
If you are looking for the best Mercer County NJ chimney services, you’ve come to the right place! For well over 20 years, St John has been providing hundreds of satisfied homeowners with safe chimneys and cozy winters. Our licensed and insured company is also a member of the National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG) and most of our quality products come with a lifetime warranty. St John is an honest family owned company that takes pride in our positive reputation in the community. For a free Hopewell Chimney Inspection estimate, contact now at (609) 737-0133 or visit the website.
Mercer County Chimney Sweeps Home Page
by admin | Jun 20, 2017 | NJ Chimney Repair
Mercer County Chimney Repair is very important to maintaining your home and protecting your family. To get the most enjoyment out of your fireplace, having your chimney inspected and repaired by a professional will provide comfort and safety you are looking for. Chimneys often get neglected by homeowners because they don’t often come to mind during day-to-day activities. Unfortunately, neglecting your chimney is very risky and can lead to damaging or even deadly fires. If you haven’t had your chimney inspected in a long time, contact your local certified Mercer County chimney repair company today for an inspection. Today, we will go over some helpful tips so you can find the best chimney service company in your area.
Hiring a Mercer County Chimney Repair Company
Services Offered by the Mercer County Chimney Repair Company:
Even though many Mercer County chimney repair contractors charge a similar amount for their services, you must to be vigilant and inquire into exactly what you are getting. Not every chimney company provides the same services. Search the web for different local Mercer County chimney repair companies. Find exactly what services each company offers and choose the company that offers the most for your money.
Make Sure theMercer County Chimney Repair Company is Fully Certified:
As you search for the right company, don’t forget to check to see if they are fully licensed. Never run the risk of having work done that isn’t fully guaranteed. If something happens to your property, or to an employee of the company, you may find yourself financially responsible for many unexpected costs.
Find an Experienced Mercer County Chimney Repair Company:
Don’t hire a company before checking how long they’ve been in business. It’s always better to hire a company that has many chimney repair jobs under their belt. We recommend a company have at least 5 years of experience before you hire them. Additionally, you should read online testimonials and reviews. See how other people’s experiences were with the company. If the review are overwhelmingly positive, there is a good chance that you will have a similar experience.
Head Over to The Better Business Bureau & for a Reputable Mercer County Chimney Repair Company:
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) accurately ranks and tracks local companies and endorses reliable ones. Before you hire a company, see how they rank on BBB. In addition, you can discover if the company has a past record of being reliable and if there are any unresolved issues involving he company. You can find lots of valuable info just by looking through the Better Business Bureau website.
Once you discover a reputable chimney repair company, you feel confident as you hire them being assured that you’ve made an educated informed decision. Make sure that once you find a company you like, that you keep hire them for regular chimney maintenance to keep your chimney from needing future repair. The company will then be able to keep track of any past damages or work that has been done to ensure accurate diagnosis and upkeep of your chimney moving forward.
Looking for the Best Mercer County Chimney Repair Company?
St. John Chimney Sweeps has been providing satisfied home owners with Mercer County Chimney repair services for decades. We take pride in providing our valued customers with our 100% satisfaction no-mess guarantee. Many of our quality products have a lifetime warranty. We are honest family owned company that always gives thorough explanations before we do any work. Our licensed and insured company is also a member of the National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG). Call now for a free estimate at: (609) 737-0133 or visit our website.
Mercer County Chimney Sweeps
by admin | Apr 6, 2017 | NJ Chimney Repair
Mercer County chimney repair is very important if your chimney stops functioning properly. If your chimney becomes cracked or has holes in it, you are running the risk of a dangerous house fire. There are many precautions you can take to avoid needing chimney repair. Below are some chimney care tips that will help keep your family and home safe as you continue to use your fireplace.
Mercer County Chimney Repair Tips
Burn dry wood only! The best type of wood for a clean fire is split wood that has been dried for at least six months before burning. While your wood is drying, make sure to cover the top of the log pile to prevent excess moisture from soaking into the wood. You should leave the sides uncovered as to not prevent the airflow from the wood. The best types of wood to burn are hard woods such as hickory, oak, beech, and maple, however, the dryness of the wood is more important than the species. Softer wood such as pine can burn well if it is very dry, however it will burn very quickly and you will go through wood very quickly.
Avoid wood that is contaminated with chemicals. Paint, laminates, and other treatments can release harmful chemicals into your chimney flue. These substances can cause a buildup of soot and combustable substances in your chimney that can lead to damage. It is ok to use a starter log to get your fire going, but try to use as much real wood as possible. Also, never use more than one starter log at a time!
Mercer County Chimney Repair | Keep Your Chimney Clean
Always ensure that your chimney cap is properly installed. The chimney cap prevents things from outside get into your chimney. The caps prevent things from entering but have vents to allow smoke to escape. Debris, rain, snow and ice can all be hazardous to your chimney, it is in your best interest to prevent those things from entering your chimney flue.
Make sure to schedule your annual chimney inspection/chimney sweep. If you make sure that your chimney is kept clean and inspected every year, you will not be surprised with damages that need immediate attention. These regular inspections can improve efficiency and greatly decrease the amount of heating dollars you’re sending up the chimney. Additionally, the recumbent of smoke will increase your enjoyment of time near the fire.
To burn fire safely, build it slowly, adding more wood as it heats and keeping your damper completely open to increase draw in the early stages. Burn the fire hot, at least occasionally—with the damper all the way open to help prevent smoke from lingering the fireplace and creosote from developing.
By the way, fireplaces aren’t officially rated for energy efficiency because they’re so varied. Depending on the source of information, they can be 10% to 30% efficient in converting fuel to heat.
St. John Chimney Sweeps |Mercer County Chimney Repair
Mercer County chimney repair company, St. John Chimney Sweeps is a comprehensive chimney and fireplace company for both residential and commercial customers throughoutMercer County. We specialize in chimney repair services to ensure that your fireplace and chimney remain healthy, functional and enjoyable. Each one of our highly trained and certified staff are professional, courteous, and are experienced in the chimney industry. If you have any questions, or want to know how to get started, call us today at (609) 737-0133 for estimates on our chimney installation and sweeping services.
Mercer County Chimney Sweep